Mera is one of the highest trekking peaks in the Himalayas (6470m). Rising south of Everest, Mera was first climbed by the snow-standard route. The good news is, the ascent of Mera is technically straightforward, requiring little more than crampons and ice axe. We will fix ropes where necessary and our guides and Sherpas will assist.
After meeting in Lukla, our trek will begin by heading northeast. We will walk along a high, rocky ridge through dense forests and across several streams before reaching the pass that will take us into the remote and largely uninhabited Hinku Valley. At Khare, we will rest and explore the huge moraine and the beautiful glacial lake north of the village. We will proceed to Khare and establish camp. Our ascent will follow the glacier that leads to Mera La and on to high camp where we will prepare for our early morning summit. From high camp, we can take in a sweeping view of Kanchenjunga, Chamlang, and Makalu to the east, Everest and Lhotse to the north and Ama Dablam and Cho Oyu to the west. This view is undoubtedly one of the most stunning in all of Nepal!
Day 1: Arrival in Kathmandu
At Kathmandu International Airport, you will be met by a Trek Nepal representative and transferred to your hotel. There will be a full tour briefing in the evening and your relevant permits will be arranged today.
Day 2: Lukla and Chuthanga, 3410m
Fly to Lukla (2,840m) by plane and trek to Chhuthanga in 3 – 4 hours.
An early morning mountain flight to Lukla (2,840m) with spectacular views of Gauri Shankar (7,135m), Melungtse (7,181m) and Numbur (6959m), takes us to our gateway to Everest Base Camp. We start our trek with an easy walk through the woodland above Lukla. The trail leads through pasture to the edge of a diminishing forest of rhododendron and pine which clothes the steep hillsides above Lukla. En route we cross small streams and forest. Mostly walk is up hill. Chuthanga itself is in a big clearing and few summer shelters.
Day 3: Chetra La Village, 4300m
Trek to Chetra La Village. Cross the Chetra La pass in 5 - 6 hours.
We continue a long day walk crossing the Kalo Himal Ridge that separates the Khumbu from the Hinku valley that lead across this ridge is the Chetra La, traversing to the right and finally descending steeply to Thuli Kharka (big pasture).
Day 4: Khote, 3691m
Trek to Khote in 4 hours.
We continue our journey descending to Hinku valley of Kothe observing the local lifestyle. Then we follow the shady forest and Hinku valley to Kothe.
Day 5: Thagnag, 4356m
Trek to Thagnag in 5 hours.
Today we trek in the shadow of Mera Himal along the ridge of the Hinku Khola. After long gentle walk we reach Thangnag. Thagnag is a summer grazing area.
Day 6: Khare, 4910m
Trek to Khare (Mera Base Camp) in 5 hours.
Today we are heading up from Tagnag towards the Mera Base camp at Khare. We follow the lateral moraine of Dig Glacier to Dig Kharka, which offers spectacular views of Charpate Himal. We carry on to the rough trail high pasture walk to Khare (Mera Base Camp) now the trail gets more rough and start to feel high altitude hike.
Day 7: Acclimatization day, 5400m
Acclimatization day with a short trek to Mera La (5400m) for Ice climbing practice and trek back to Khare. Our climbing Sherpa provide you training course.
Day 8: Acclimatization day, 4910m
Extra day in case of bad weather or for better acclimatization.
Day 9: Mera High Camp, 5800m
Trek to Mera High Camp. Walk and climb on ice and snow all the way up to the High Camp.
Day 10: Mera Peak, 6470m
Summit day (6,470m). Back to Khare.
Today is a big day as we summit Mera Peak. From the summit we can have the magnificent views of Mt. Everest (8,848m/29,029ft), Cho-Oyu (8,201m/26,906ft), Lhotse (8,516m/27,940ft), Makalu (8,463m/27,766ft), Kangchenjunga (8,586m/28,169ft), Nuptse (7,855m/25,770ft), Lubuche (6,145m/20,160ft), Chamlang (7,319m/24,013ft). We then retrace our way back to Khare.
Day 11: Kothe, 3691m
We retrace our way back to Kothe.
Day 12: Chhuthanga, 3410m
From Kothe, we trek down to Chhuthanga.
Day 13: Lukla, 2840m
Trek to Lukla in 5 hours. We traverse numerous ascents and descents through the forest, among rocky cliffs and sheer drops overlooking the river.
Day 14: Kathmandu
Flight to Kathmandu (45 minutes). Flight back to Kathmandu today, departure time is subject to weather conditions. Your time is free to either further explore Kathmandu and its shops or simply chill out.
- Transfers as mentioned in the itinerary
- Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla return
- Permit and entry fees for trekking and climbing
- 3 meals per day while trekking
- Accommodation while trekking in twin sharing basis tent/local lodges / guesthouses.
- Treated water during trek
- Trekking Guides, Climbing Guide and porters
- First aid kit
- Group Equipment that we provide: Doman tents and mattress on twin sharing basisi, kitchen/dining tent, kitchen equipment, toilet tent, climbing rope, harness, crampons, ice axe, karabiners, ice-screw, snow bars, rock piton, helmet, ascender, descender, tapes
- Trek Nepal t-shirt
- 13% VAT
What's not included
- Accommodation and meals in Kathmandu
- Entry Visa fees – at present US$ 25 for 15 day, US$ 40 for 30 day, and US$ 100 for three month visa on entry into Nepal.
- Insurance which covers, medical, emergency evacuation, lost, theft expenses.
- International flights
- Drinks: both alcoholic and bottled other than sterilized drinking water.
- Any Meals at airports
- Items of a personal nature
- Laundry fees, hot water, hot shower, charging mobile and batteries, using WI-FI
- Personal gears such as:- Climbing boot, long sleeved cotton/woolen shirts, wool long underwear, long cotton hiking shirts, warm climbing trousers, light weight fleece, fleece/wool for climbing, down high altitude sleeping bag (3,4 season), sleeping pad (Carry mart) or thermo mat, light cotton athletic socks and wool climbing socks, light weight thermal/insulated climbing gloves, head torch/batteries/bulbs, water proof climbing jacket, down jacket/trouser/vest, climbing sunglasses, sunscreen, sun hat, gaiters
- Chartering helicopter incase of bad weather
- Tips and gratuities
Making a booking
If you want to reserve your place on a trip we ask you to place a deposit of $195 to secure your place. Should you wish to discuss your trip with us, please email email@example.com or call +977 985 1105063 or in the UK on +44 (0) 7544496024.
|Mera Peak Climbing||Friday 1st Sep 2017 - Thursday 14th Sep 2017||8 places left||US$2490|
|Mera Peak Climbing||Monday 4th Sep 2017 - Thursday 7th Sep 2017||5 places left||US$2490|
|Mera Peak Climbing||Friday 15th Sep 2017 - Monday 18th Sep 2017||5 places left||US$2490|
|Mera Peak Climbing||Tuesday 26th Sep 2017 - Friday 29th Sep 2017||5 places left||US$2490|
|Mera Peak Climbing||Tuesday 10th Oct 2017 - Friday 13th Oct 2017||5 places left||US$2490|
|Mera Peak Climbing||Monday 23rd Oct 2017 - Thursday 26th Oct 2017||5 places left||US$2490|
|Mera Peak Climbing||Friday 3rd Nov 2017 - Monday 6th Nov 2017||5 places left||US$2490|
|Mera Peak Climbing||Tuesday 14th Nov 2017 - Friday 17th Nov 2017||5 places left||US$2490|
|Mera Peak Climbing||Tuesday 28th Nov 2017 - Friday 1st Dec 2017||5 places left||US$2490|
|Mera Peak Climbing||Saturday 16th Dec 2017 - Tuesday 19th Dec 2017||5 places left||US$2490|
|Mera Peak Climbing||Wednesday 27th Dec 2017 - Saturday 30th Dec 2017||5 places left||US$2490|